I don't know about you guys, but I always struggle to find different things to eat in the morning. But whenever I speak to my aunty in Israel, this is the hearty dish they start the day with. Delicious for breakfast or anytime, Shakshuka is eggs served in a rich tomato based sauce.
So when I saw Coles Magazine feature this, I knew I had to try it and it did not fail! In keeping with my rule of having the least amount of ingredients in a recipe, I did however add a little extra spice to the mix with some chilli flakes, but that's totally optional.
Calories per serving = approx. 365
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, onion and capsicum and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins or until the onion softens.
- Add the tomato and cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until the mixture boils and thickens slightly. Season with salt and pepper to flavour the tomato mixture. You can also add the chilli if you are using this optional ingredient.
- Use the back of a spoon to make 4 large wells in the tomato mixture. Carefully crack an egg into each well. Reduce heat to low.
- Partially cover the pan and cook for 10 mins for soft yolks or until eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Sprinkle with parsley leaves to serve and a little extra salt & pepper if needed.
Credit Recipe & Image: http://www.taste.com.au & Coles Magazine Australia