Find me someone that doesn't love a Mexican meal. Even better, Mexican is so quick and easy to prepare, it almost feels like cheating. Full of fresh ingredients and flavour, this super delicious fajita bowl makes a great lunch or dinner.
The other great thing about this recipe is that if you don't like chicken, swap out the protein ingredient for something you do like (beef, pork, prawn, fish) or simply add more beans!
For a lower calorie/lower carbohydrate option, you guys can omit the rice and add an extra 1/4 cup of beans which will make it approx. 350cals/serving.
Calories per serving = approx. 400
Seasoning, Sauces & Spices (You may have these in your pantry already)
- Drizzle chicken with 1 teaspoon oil and sprinkle over the spice mixture. Use enough to coat all strips of chicken. Add salt and pepper for extra seasoning. If you have time, let this marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick pan with remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add the chicken mixture and sauté until fully browned and cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and add the onion and bell peppers. Sauté until tender and charred.
- Add the chicken back into the pan and toss to combine. Once completely cooked remove from stove and add the fresh lime juice and cilantro.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions.
- Warm beans in a small bowl in the microwave or small saucepan.
- Assemble the baby spinach leaves In a deep salad bowl. Arrange the rice, chicken, onion and peppers mixture and beans on top. Top with salsa and a little extra cilantro with a final squeeze of fresh lime.